Album Review: Creed 2

Back to Article
Back to Article

Album Review: Creed 2

Made With Canva

Made With Canva

Made With Canva

Made With Canva

Jaden Mckinnon, Staff Writer

After the success of the first “Creed,” director Steven Caple Jr. and upcoming movie star, Michael B. Jordan, came back for the sequel. Along with a blockbuster movie came a top-charting album.

The first “Creed” album included random songs and various artists. The “Creed 2” album takes a different approach. Like other successful movie records, for example, “SUPERFLY” and “Black Panther,” “Creed 2” hired specific music artists and producers.

The body of work is produced by Grammy award-winning producer Mike Will Made IT and it includes top artists like Lil Wayne, J.Cole, A$AP Mob, Ella Mai, Gucci Mane and Young Thug to name a few. By having over 15 artists on the album, it attracts more audiences. Genres range from R&B, soul, hip-hop/rap, indie folk to pop. Although the many different types of genres and artist might seem overwhelming, the songs blend well together and give an opportunity for people to listen despite any mood.

The song “F.I.G.H.T” is produced beautifully, the use of dialogue from Sylvester Stallone and Michael B. Jordan is genius. It allows for listeners to get hype even before the intense beat drops. “We Can Hit” is another hype song, Crime Mob gives the song their familiar grimy feel and reminds me of their most famous song “Knuck If You Buck”. “Kill ‘Em With Success”, “Runnin” and “Check” conclude the songs needed for a pre-game playlist from the album.

Smartly, Mike Will Made IT, chose to include chill songs as well. Unfortunately, all the R&B tracks sound similar and have the well known, modern sound. “Ice Cold” was the only flop on the album. The ad-libs and drums overpowered the song and did not have any balance. But Bon Iver’s track “Do You Need Power” makes up for the bland R&B tracks and the flop, and adds a unique indie sound.  

Despite not top-charting like other studio movie albums, “Creed 2” The Album still deserves recognition and definitely has a couple “stay on repeat” tracks.       

Rate: 9/10