Fab Lab
Fab Lab

The Best of the Emmys

Micaih Thomas writes about the Emmys award show

Emmy season has stormed through. This time around, the show stood as a form of simplistic progress within the industry. Nowadays, hosts center their sketches and skits around “wokeness” and try-hard progressivity. To be honest, this gives the award shows a more cringe feel. Thankfully, this year’s host, Anthony Anderson (A.K.A. the non-problematic brown chocolate king), did an amazing job. The only thing missing was his female counterpart, Tracee Ellis Ross.

Outstanding Drama Series: Game of Thrones

Since 2011, the infamous show, Game of Thrones, has gained a humongous amount of followers. The series centers around mythical kingdoms and old-time war. Daenerys and John Snow inspired a new age of “play pretend” within the cosplay community. 

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series: Billy Porter 

As the Emmy passed onto Billy Porter, it glinted a change within the entertainment industry. Porter became the first openly black gay man to receive an award in this category. The show he stars in, Pose, stands as a catalyst for the mainstream. The series follows a group of queer young adults as they navigate life in New York. He plays the role of Pray Tell, an elder within the black LGBT community. Porter’s win in this category created a mix of praise and controversy on social media. Fans felt as though Porter’s win confirmed the industry’s inability to acknowledge transgender actors and actresses. In the midst of controversy, his cast continued to cheer him on. 

Variety Sketch Series: Saturday Night Live 

Although the cast of SNL changes over time, the satirical content becomes increasingly funny over the years. SNL stands as a comedic form of unbiased journalism. The actor’s representation of politicians, celebrities and ordinary people stand as true portrayals of American culture. 

Outstanding Television Series: Black Mirror: Bandersnatch 

In December, Bandersnatch made its debut on Netflix. The movie presented an alternative take on cinematography and created a sinister form of imagery. The director, David Slade, provided the audience with a video game-esque approach. Through a tangible and realist approach, he gave the audience an interactive reach into the Black Mirror world.  

Outstanding Lead Actor In a Limited Series: Jharel Jerome

The release of the series, When They See Us, created an absolute outrage in America. The world was given a more in-depth look into the world of the 80s: beyond the aesthetic colorful surface and into the grunge, corrupt police departments. Jharel Jerome’s stand-out performance brought attention to the eyes of huge stars and set precedents for the black community.