Learn how to make small talk about politics while (hopefully) not angering everyone around you

How to Adult: Talking About Politics

Small talk, as a rule of thumb, covers simple topics such as the weather and sports. They require minimum thinking or effort on an individual basis but allow for a plethora of ideas and expression. As one of the most crucial conversational skills, small talk not only builds interpersonal relationships between people through shared interests and values, bridging the gap separating “acquaintance” from “friend,” but also elevates individual communication by providing an easier medium for people to convey their beliefs.

At times, small talk teeters the line of “controversial,” especially when politics and religion come into play. While rare, discussions of passionate topics with opinions of varying extremities require people in the conversation to handle the situation calmly and maturely, without offending the other party. Maintaining a cool head and an open mind unlocks the potential of an engaging and intellectual exchange that may even lead to an agreement or change of heart.

Show respect for all sides of the conversation, regardless of your own personal beliefs.
Although an individual’s opinions may not coincide with your own, and may even contradict yours entirely, the Constitution protects and entitles them to believe what they want to believe. Suppress the urge to argue or contradict the person talking unless you’re able to do so in a respectful manner. Tongue-in-cheek, passive-aggressive or curt replies lead to hostility and can damage personal relationships. Following the Golden Rule, speak to others with the same esteem and regard with which you wish them to speak to you.

Do your research ahead of time.
Research and form reasons that explain and support your point-of-view to strengthen your argument. A political discussion based on fact encourages further intellectual insight and prevents a passionately-opinionated argument from happening.

Don’t enter the conversation with the intent of changing the other party’s opinion.
Be modest in your own opinions without forcing them onto other people. A “hot button” issue, has a tendency to transcend a “sharing of beliefs,” and often morph into heated personal attacks on someone else’s character. A singular conversation with an acquaintance holds little value against deep-seated, firmly established political views. Knowing that, debating and arguing does little to tear down those fixed principles.

Be comfortable with talking about a different topic.
If at any point during the conversation you find yourself antsy and unwilling to continue your exchange, reflect and deviate from the original topic. Excuse yourself from the discussion and/or introduce a new subject, as simply as saying, “I’m uneasy talking about this at the moment, but I enjoyed our time. You’ve given me something to consider.” Never shoulder guilt for feeling uncomfortable during your talk, and reconcile with the other party if the conversation reaches a boiling point.

$3000
$5000