VASE Competition Results

Ashley Owen, 12, earned a medal at the state level for her artwork. Three other students from Legacy also were awarded medals.

Brinley Koenig, Features Editor

Four art students– senior Ashley Owens, senior Destiny Boland, senior Emma Randall and sophomore Amiya Jenkins– earned medals for their work at the state VASE, Visual Arts Scholastic Event, competition on Friday, April 27 in San Marcos.

“I was really surprised when I got [to state] because everything was different from how I would expect it to be,” junior Samantha Brown said. “There’s a lot of talent in Texas.”

Judges evaluate the artists on a scale of one to five at the state competition. Students who earn a rating of four receive a medal, and those who get a rating of five win a gold seal– the highest honor.

“I’m proud that I went to state and medaled because not a lot of people do,” Randall said.

The judges evaluate each piece of art based on five categories: student research and application, sources, technique and execution, aesthetics and personal expression.

“Last year I made it to state, so I knew the expectations,” Randall said. “I knew how much I needed to work on [my piece] to go to state.”

To qualify for the state meet, students must earn a four at the regional competition, and judges then have to hand-pick their piece to advance to the next level. Students can submit any 2D or 3D piece of art to VASE they have created during the year.

“I don’t really have a goal [when creating artwork],” Randall said. “It’s not really for a certain award– it’s just for me.”

About the Writer
Brinley Koenig, Features Editor

Hey, I’m Brinley. I like to watch The Office, drink overpriced artesian water, read classic novels, and pretend I have the time and money for all of...