Fab Lab
Fab Lab

Dress Code Revisions 2018-19

Dress changes ease the process for students and faculty. (Courtesy Photo)

A committee of teachers, administrators, parents and students from various grade levels met to revise the MISD dress code policy for the 2018-2019 school year. Assistant Principal Leonard Cousins approached the Campus Support Director Tamara Vardy to suggest a review of the dress code policy.

“I felt like the dress code was somewhat antiquated,” Mr. Cousins said. “It did not reflect the appeal and the attire of the times.”

The revised dress code changes how the length of skirts, shorts and dresses are measured, the appropriate width of shirt straps, allowed hair color and where jeans can have holes.  

“Assistant principals were majoring on the minor,” Mr. Cousins said. “It forced us to focus on the dress code in a way that took away from instructional issues.”   

We are not trying to say that dress code is not important. What we are saying is that we are trying to take the pain out of the dress code process.

— Mr. Cousins

The committee revised the dress code with hopes to make it more user-friendly for students and faculty. For example, they changed the five-inch rule for skirts, shorts, rips in jeans and dresses to fingertip based measurements.

“Hopefully, this will help students instead of hurt them,” Mr. Cousins said, “because I am tired of dealing with dress code craziness.”

The revised dress code will go into effect in August at the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.

“We want to make it easier for our assistant principals, we want to make it easier for our parents and most of all we want to make it easier for our students,” Cousins said. ”We are not trying to say that dress code is not important. What we are saying is that we are trying to take the pain out of the dress code process.”

Shirts & Tops

• Halter, tube, and tank tops, as well as tops with large armholes and muscle shirts are not allowed.
  • Additionally, all shirts/blouses/tops must cover cleavage, the entire back, and midriff.
  • The middle section (midriff) of the body must be covered at all times including during reasonable movement. Tops that are sleeveless must measure 2 inches or more across the shoulders.
  • Transparent and/or see-through material is considered unacceptable unless worn over another article of clothing that meets dress code.
  • Layering of shirts or tops is acceptable provided the combination of clothing meets the above standards throughout the school day.
  • Students will not wear clothing with pictures, emblems, or writing that is lewd, offensive, suggestive, vulgar, obscene, or that advertises or depicts tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, pornography, or any other prohibited items.
  • Any clothing, accessories, symbols, jewelry, or paraphernalia that depicts or suggests association with a gang, criminal organization, or secret society shall not be worn or brought to school or in any way be present at any school-sponsored event.
  • Appropriately sized coats and jackets may be worn to school, but campus administration may require the item to be stored in the student’s lockers.

Pants, Dresses, Skirts, Skorts, & Shorts

• Jeans and pants with holes or frayed material, which reveals any area of skin or undergarments above fingertip length, are considered inappropriate.
  • Pants, shorts, skorts, and skirts that do not fit at the waistline are inappropriate. No sagging is allowed.
  • Spandex, tights, leggings / jeggings, and yoga style clothing will be allowed only if they are worn under pants, shorts, skorts, dresses, and skirts that are fingertip length front and back all the way around.
  • Dresses, skirts, skorts, and shorts length must be measure fingertip length front to back all the way around while sitting and standing.
  • Dresses, skirts, skorts, and shorts length must be measured from the top of the slit.
  • Pajamas, bathrobes, and or sleepwear are not allowed. Underwear, muscle shirts, half shirts, or any other clothing similar to undergarments may not be visible.
  • Sliding/Biking/Compression shorts may not be worn unless covered by dress code approved shorts.

Accessories

The following may not be worn during the school day:

• Any type of head covering to include: caps, hats, berets, head scarfs (unless for medical or religious reasons), hoods (hoodie), Du rags, kerchiefs, or visors.
  • Sunglasses (unless medical documentation or administrator approval is provided).
  • Blankets or throws.
  • Bandanas (as a head covering or headband).
  • Ear muffs.
  • Visible piercings with the exception of the ears and one single piercing on the face.
  • Any accessories, symbols, jewelry, tattoos, or paraphernalia, which depicts or suggests association with a gang, secret society/fraternity, inappropriate or derogatory language, racism, or sexual connotations and or deemed distracting.
  • Chains or wallets with chains.
  • Spiked jewelry.
  • Any shoes that aren’t considered safe (cleats, shoes with wheels, house or slippers/shoes).
  • Mouth accessories to include: “grillzs” or Dracula teeth.
  • Eye contacts that are cat eyes or Halloween/costume style contacts.
  • Costumes (unless approved by a school organized activity).
  • Hair that causes a health or safety hazard and or a disruption of the school environment.
Jazmine Necessary, Editor-In-Chief
After romantic candlelit dinners and long walks on the beach, I enjoy writing for this website and making lame jokes.