TCC Raises Tuition

Prices for TCC will rise in the 2019 spring semester because of districts growing expenses.

Courtesy Photo

TCC announced in August they would increase tuition on all campuses for the 2019 spring semester. This increase in tuition will put MISD’s total expenditures at $1,120,000 for the current school year. From the 2014-2015 to the 2018-2019 school year, MISD’s total expenses increased by $580,242 – a growth rate superintendent Dr. Jim Vaszauskas finds unsustainable.

“The cost is really a challenge for us at this particular point in time,” Dr. Vaszauskas said at the Jan. 22 school board meeting. “If it continues to grow as it is with no new funding from the state, then we’ve got real challenges.”

Dr. Sean Scott, Associate Superintendent of Curriculum, Instruction and Accountability,  presented a cost control proposal at the board meeting. He first suggested a 12-hour cap on all TCC classes. This cap would not prohibit students from taking more than four classes per semester, but upon reaching the limit, students would have to cover all costs themselves. Dr. Scott chose 12 hours as the cap because at that time a student may receive credit toward performance acknowledgments such as valedictorian.

Dr. Scott proposed an increase in the price students pay through three scenarios.

“I feel like the district has the right idea, but it’ll just make classes less available and discourage some students from taking them,” junior Ryan Mathis said.

The board has not reached a decision, but their next steps include continued research and attempts at negotiation with TCC. MISD board member, Randall Canedy said negotiation is the best route to pursue.

“I think the important thing is that we let the college know that from our perspective [our current monetary relationship with TCC] is unsustainable the way it is going,” Mr. Canedy said.

MISD’s final decision will be included in the 2019-2020 budget.