Students To Join Day Of Service

Members of the National Honor Society help clean up the Cedar Hill park on Dec. 1.

Landry Pedroza

Cameron Dudzinski, Staff Writer

A single day, multiple locations, more than 100 volunteers and one motive – service. Students will arrive in their Day of Service shirts and munch on donuts before the day ahead. At 9 a.m., buses will come to the school to transport volunteers to their respective locations where they work and serve for the entire day.

Legacy and Mansfield partnered and started the MISD Day of Service project for one day of community service. The Day of Service will take place March 7 from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., with a lunch provided at Rose Park. Students attending must wear long pants, closed-toe shoes and their shirt. Student Council adviser and Teen Leadership teacher, Kenna Cavnar, organized the event.

“This is an idea that Mady Walker and I came up with in hope to have the student body to unite and give service to the community,”  Ms.Cavnar said.

Student Council hopes to have around 200 students signed up to help volunteer. Student Body President Mady Walker assisted in planning this event in hopes of inspiring students to help out the community.

“I always knew that, as a school, I wanted to give back to the community that always supports us,” Walker said, “so the council and I thought of a way to have a day to give back.”

Group organizations such as Ladies of Legacy, Cheer, JROTC and more will participate in the Day of Service. Each organization has a majority of students signed up to participate in this event.

There are 12 jobs students can sign up for with limited slots to fill. Jobs such as gardening, trash clean up, office work, cleaning and crafts will occupy volunteers during the allotted time.

“My hope is that we get to achieve all out projects, but also inspire others to help out their family, friends and even strangers,” Walker said. “I hope that we can help the community as much as we can and grow this event and also reach out to as many people as possible.”

Cameron Dudzinski, Staff Writer

Hello! I'm Cameron Dudzinski, Junior Staff Writer, and a passionate aspiring writer!

Landry Pedroza, Photographer

I love sports. I play football for the school, and play summer club baseball. I am also involved at Creekwood Church, so if I'm not at school or practice...