Update: Students To Join Day Of Service

Photo by Kathryn Pedroza
Spreading mulch, junior Megan Novak and senior Trinity Nguyen volunteer on the Day of Service on March 7.

A single day, multiple locations, more than 100 volunteers and one motive – service. Students will arrive in their Day of Service shirts and munch on donuts before the day ahead. At 9 a.m., buses will come to the school to transport volunteers to their respective locations where they work and serve for the entire day.

Legacy and Mansfield partnered and started the MISD Day of Service project for one day of community service. The Day of Service will take place March 7 from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., with a lunch provided at Rose Park. Students attending must wear long pants, closed-toe shoes and their shirt. Student Council adviser and Teen Leadership teacher, Kenna Cavnar, organized the event.

“This is an idea that Mady Walker and I came up with in hope to have the student body to unite and give service to the community,”  Ms.Cavnar said.

Student Council hopes to have around 200 students signed up to help volunteer. Student Body President Mady Walker assisted in planning this event in hopes of inspiring students to help out the community.

“I always knew that, as a school, I wanted to give back to the community that always supports us,” Walker said, “so the council and I thought of a way to have a day to give back.”

Group organizations such as Ladies of Legacy, Cheer, JROTC and more will participate in the Day of Service. Each organization has a majority of students signed up to participate in this event.

There are 12 jobs students can sign up for with limited slots to fill. Jobs such as gardening, trash clean up, office work, cleaning and crafts will occupy volunteers during the allotted time.

“My hope is that we get to achieve all out projects, but also inspire others to help out their family, friends and even strangers,” Walker said. “I hope that we can help the community as much as we can and grow this event and also reach out to as many people as possible.”

Update:

After senior Mady Walker and StuCo partnered with Mansfield High School for The Day of Service, they were honored at the Mansfield City Council meeting on April 22 and the School Board meeting on April 23.

The Day of Service took place on March 7 and 307 Legacy students and 10 Legacy faculty participated. Mansfield High school volunteers, not counting in the 317, also helped at the 12 different volunteer sites.

The City of Mansfield made a video of the event which played at the meeting to show the impact of the event. Afterward, Mayor David Cook delivered the Day Of Service Award to Legacy and Mansfield Representatives.

“It was pretty cool receiving the award because we worked so hard to plan it,” junior Michael Cooper said.

Cameron Dudzinski
Cameron Dudzinski, Staff Writer
I love Godzilla. This is my bio.
Kathryn Pedroza
Kathryn Pedroza, Editor-In-Chief
"Kathryn with a K is so much better than Kathryn with a C"- Anne of Green Gables. Anyway, my life can be summed up in three things: showtunes, books and Jesus. I can talk forever about them if you'll let me.
Landry Pedroza
Landry Pedroza, Photographer
I love sports. I play football for the school, and play summer club baseball. I am also involved at Creekwood Church, so if I'm not at school or practice I'm most likely there.