Journalism Wins Top National and State Awards

Legacy%27s+student+publications+%28The+Arena+yearbook+and+therideronline.com%29+recently+won+four+top+national+awards+and+UIL%27s+top+award%2C+the+Star.+Students+also+earned+42+Individual+Achievement+Awards+for+specific+stories%2C+photos+and+pages.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Legacy's student publications (The Arena yearbook and therideronline.com) recently won four top national awards and UIL's top award, the Star. Students also earned 42 Individual Achievement Awards for specific stories, photos and pages.

Staff, Staff

Journalism students brought home their seventh online newspaper Pacemaker from the JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention in Anaheim, California. On April 27 at the national convention in Anaheim, The Arena 2018 yearbook also won a second pacemaker. Newspaper Editor-In-Chief Jazmine Necessary could not attend the convention but said the excitement of receiving the award was not diminished.

“I hated having to pick between prom and Anaheim,” Necessary said. “I cried when Mallett FaceTimed me to tell me we won the award. I am unbelievably proud of each person who contributes to the site. It was their hard work that got us here.”

In the US, there are 37,000 high schools and only 19 won a yearbook Pacemaker.

Student Media editors win top national awards at the convention in Anaheim, California.

“It means a lot to be recognized for the hard work and late hours,” 2019 yearbook editor Breanne Jackson said. “A lot goes into making the book, and just being nominated for this award is huge.”

The Interscholastic League Press Conference, UIL’s journalism branch, also named the 2018 yearbook at one of the six Gold Stars in Texas. At the state convention in Austin May 3-5, student media students also picked up 42 individual awards for specific stories, photos, page and more.

“Overall, it was a great year for us,” Journalism Adviser Leland Mallett said. “The awards are just the extra bonus. These students work hard to produce material their peers will read and enjoy, so adding a Star or Pacemaker to the wall is more kudos for good student journalism.