Update: Band Marches to Area

Photo by Katelyn Finch
Kylie Jennings, 11, and Alayah Wilson, 9, pose during their 2019 show, A Window to Our Souls.

Update: The band placed seventh in the preliminary round and tied for eighth in finals. This is the first time they performed in area finals since 2013.

————————————————————-

The Legacy Bronco Band performed their show, “A Window To Our Souls” at the annual UIL Region competition on Oct. 15 and received top ratings from all judges in all scoring fields. The band advanced to Area and will perform at Birdville High School on Oct. 26. The band will compete in a preliminary round at 10:45 a.m. If the band places in the top ten they will compete in a final run between 6:30 and 9:45 p.m.

“I think we have a good shot,” Band Director Andrew Nance said. “I think it’s an outside shot. We’re always the dark horse candidate going in [but] we have that outside shot.”

This is Mr. Nance’s third year at Legacy and his first year as head band director. Mr. Nance previously worked as assistant band director under Adam Hoffmann.

“Doing this well, this soon, far outweighs anything I expected,” Nance said. “I knew I could come in here and make an impact. I had no idea how big of an impact that would be,” 

To advance to the state level competition, the band must place in the top four out of the ten finalists. The state competition will be held over the course of three days at the Alamodome in San Antonio. If the band advances, they will perform Nov. 6. 

“Despite whatever outcome we have this Saturday, I’m still going to feel great in the process because we’ve improved every aspect of our program,” Nance said.

Jenna Smith
Jenna Smith, Staff Writer
My name is Jenna and I’m a staff writer. This is my junior year and until now my life has been nothing but band. I love to write, listen to music, and kill time on twitter.
Katelyn Finch
Katelyn Finch, Social Media Director
Hi! I’m Katelyn. You can usually find me at every Legacy event ever.