Opinion: We Need To Redefine Sports

Kendra Washington, voices her opinion on what is considered a sport.

Delayne Fierro

Kendra Washington, Sports Editor

As someone who has been involved in sports and fine arts throughout high school, there’s an argument I always hear: what should be considered as a sport?

“Band is a sport.”

“Show Choir is a sport.”

“Dance is a sport.”

“Musical Theater is a sport.”

To some degree, they’re right. By definition a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Since all of these activities have to opportunity to compete and require physical labor, they are all technically sports.

Athletes look at it differently. I asked football player, and staff writer, Jorden Melson what he considered a sport to be. He believes a sport is anything that makes you sweat and draws in a lot of attention.

And News Editor Jake Stacks, who also participates in football and powerlifting, always argues that anything without defense can’t be a sport.

I know how physically challenging show choir can be, and I’ve woken up sore after working out in musical theater rehearsal. I’d love to see football players try to run and sing to choral expectations. If you ever want to not be able to feel your legs, ask Ms. Alverson to teach you the musical theater warm ups. I’ve played four sports since my kindergarten, soccer-playing years and I believe fine arts can call from similar athletic ability.

Still, I personally don’t believe activities like show choir and musical theater are sports, because they are something better. They’re an art.

Common sports have all these rules and regulations. Predictions can be made. There can always be a clear winner. Art follows no rules. It’s a direct expression of what someone is made of. Winners are a representation of what someone thinks.

In normal sports, strong bonds and connections can be made, but art requires you to be able to emotionally understand everyone you’re working with.

An athlete shows an audience what they can do, but an artist shows an audience who they are.

Something can be physically challenging and not be a sport. You can put a lot of time, effort and passion into something that isn’t a sport. You can be athletic and not be an athlete. Calling your organization or activity a sport shouldn’t make it any more legitimate.

There’s still skill, physical challenge and beauty in art.

Kendra Washington, Sports Editor

My name is Kendra Washington. I am a senior with a love for Jesus, writing, singing, football and people. I’m the Sports Editor for TheRiderOnline.com and a manager for Bronco football.

Delayne Fierro, Photographer

My name is Delayne Fierro and I’m a junior this year. This is my second year as a photographer for Legacy student media. I enjoy coloring, reading, and eating donuts.