Girls’ Soccer Moves on to Second Round of Playoffs

Photo by Adriance Rhoades
Dezirae Rodriguez, 9, battles with an opponent for the ball during a crucial district game against Mansfield Timberview.

After a convincing 6-0 win against Dallas Samuell in the first round of playoffs, the varsity girls’ soccer team will move onto the second round and face Longview in Athens. The match will kick off at 7 p.m. The game is over an hour and a half away but midfielder Madelyn Medina, 11, hopes people will make the trip to encourage the team.

“Fans add to the atmosphere and playoff experience,” Medina said. “We want to do well and give them a good show.”

The squad is running on a record of 13 wins, five draws and five losses and finished second in their district. The girls’ team have already bettered last year’s season by advancing to the second round. With the talent the team has Medina believes they can go even further in playoffs.

“We have a really talented team and everyone works so well together,” Medina said. “We are going further than we have in the past.”

Their opponent, the Longview Lady Lobos, won their first round game against Lindale 2-1. The game could be a challenging contest for both teams.

“I believe as a team that we can win on any given day,” goalkeeper Kyleigh Hall said. “Any given time we give it our best.”

Ben Townsend
Ben Townsend, News Editor
I'm the News Editor so yeah. Enjoy the news. Go team.