A Little Bit of Everything

A Little Bit of Everything
Photo by Photo by Megan Bell

It’s Friday after school. I’m in the band hall before jazz practice. Even though I resemble the stereotype, I’ve never been an official part of band. This year I’m playing piano for Jazz Band II, and I’m certainly lost in it all. I haven’t played piano since I was younger, and, although it’s starting to come back, my skill level is what can be considered “less than mediocre.”

Even though I’m being overwhelmed by the jargon and all of the music, I’m starting to enjoy myself because I’m a part of something.

I’m not sure what it is, but I like to be a part of everything. Throughout my life I’ve been a part of debate, journalism, band, chess club, leadership club, film club, boy scouts, game development club — which I made — dive team, soccer, lacrosse and more. I’ve attempted, and occasionally succeeded, to teach myself Korean, how to play the Ukulele, how to solve a rubik’s cube, computer programming, how to draw, how to build computers, philosophy and more.

Being a part of something, especially something big, is a great feeling. Last year, when I was a sophomore in Mrs. Bennett’s English class, we had reached the Fahrenheit 451 project. The goal of the project was to create something about the book. Mrs. Bennett provided a list of things you could do, ranging from recreating a chapter on video to creating a song about a part in the book.

But there was another option, free choice.

With Mrs. Bennett’s approval, I led a group of ten guys and recreated the entirety of the book in a 14 minute movie called “Fahrenheit 451 Condensed”. I spent almost two full days working, filming and directing the guys. I spent almost a full week editing it. Although long and exhausting, filming Fahrenheit 451 Condensed was probably the best experience of my sophomore year. Looking back at it now, it’s easy to see that it’s definitely not good or professional, but it will forever hold a place in my heart.

The sort of joy I got out of Fahrenheit 451 Condensed is the type of feeling I try to get out of everything I do. Sure, I overwhelm myself with activities, but with every activity I take part in, there’s a joy I get out of it — whether it be when I go undefeated at a debate tournament, when I interview a famous screenplay writer for newspaper, when I start a web series for journalism or when I hit the right notes in the right order in band.
When I hear about students who don’t do anything except go to school, it makes me upset. I firmly believe there is something out there for everyone. Even if it’s not an extracurricular or a sport, take that big project, think outside the box and explore.

Ben Schnuck, Newspaper
I'm Ben Schnuck, a Senior at Legacy this year. This will be my second year writing for The Rider. I'm the Mansfield Legacy CX Debate Captain and Student Media Representative for the Legacy National Honor Society. I enjoy computers, ukuleles, philosophy, and more. I usually write about politics, movies, TV, philosophy, and occasionally take part in over the top projects that I inevitably regret in the end.