Tony Romo: A Eulogy

Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Tony Romo retired from football on April 5 to pursue a career in broadcasting with CBS
Photo by Photo used with permissions from Wikimedia Commons

For my entire football-watching life, I’ve watched plenty of things come and go. I watched Brett Favre make the Green Bay Packers a Super Bowl contender every year, only to be replaced by his backup, Aaron Rodgers, who made the Green Bay Packers a Super Bowl contender every year. I watched Joe Flacco become arguably one of the worst quarterbacks to ever win a championship.

One thing has always remained constant throughout the years:

The New England Patriots.

Just kidding, I’m talking about Tony Romo.

Romo’s origin story has long been discussed. Antonio Ramiro “Tony” Romo went from undrafted quarterback at Eastern Illinois University to the face of the world’s most famous football team with the Dallas Cowboys. In his 13 year career, he broke almost every team record a quarterback could break. He became the Cowboys all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns, as well as setting the single-season record for completions, touchdown passes and passing yards.

Now, on April 4, 2017, Tony Romo has retired to pursue a career in broadcasting, and I’m torn to say the least.

None of this would’ve happened if it weren’t for a week two preseason game last season where he fractured a bone in his back, causing him to miss most of the season. This caused his backup, Dak Prescott, to take his spot, and the Cowboys go on a cinderella run to the playoffs ended by Green Bay (again).

There’s some sort of alternate universe where Tony never gets injured and the Cowboys still have a great season, but we’ll never truly know. That’s why when the 2017 NFL offseason started, it was time for Romo to leave Dallas and go to a team who was only a quarterback away from contending for a Super Bowl, so he can finally get a ring.

Did I mention he never won a Super Bowl? I probably should’ve mentioned that earlier.

Other than the records he broke and being statistically one of the best quarterbacks of all time, there are certainly a few things that’ll come up during the discussion on whether or not he should be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Plenty of people know the monumental and heartbreaking losses, originally starting with the botched field goal snap in 2007 that cemented him in NFL Playoff history as someone who couldn’t win big games. There was the 2011 week one loss against the New York Jets where the team gave up 17 unanswered points to have Tony Romo throw an interception to Darrelle Revis with one minute left. There’s plenty more stories like this, and they aren’t all Tony Romo’s fault. They’ll forever be a part of his legacy. Keep in mind Romo is also 14th all time in fourth-quarter comebacks with 25, but those aren’t always as exciting as the losses.

I come today to honor the legacy of America’s quarterback: Tony Romo. Whether you love him or love to hate him, just about every football fan will have an opinion about him.

So here’s to breaking JJ Watt’s ankles, to the pizza hut hat, to the time T.O. had your back, to the time you tried to qualify for the U.S. Open and to the “elite quarterback” conversations.

I’ll never forget you, Tony Romo. I can’t wait to see you on CBS Sunday mornings.  
RIP TONY ROMO (2003-2017)

Grant Baker, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
I'm Grant Baker and I write for this website. I love serving God, watching football and listening to 2000s southern hip hop. Maybe not all of those at the same time. I don't know. Okay you know how hard it is to write one of these things? Pretty hard.