Learn how to have the best night of your high school life without having the worst night for your wallet.

How to Adult: Prom on a Budget

From the outfit, to the makeup, to the arrival, most teens dream of their prom where every little detail is perfect, unfortunately all the small details amount to hundreds of dollars extremely quickly. Slashing costs does not mean scrapping the dream of a perfect prom, but it does mean trimming the budget without it being obvious, as long the costs are cut in the right places.

Girls

Outfit
Surprisingly, buying instead of renting your outfit turns out to be cheaper in the long run. If you plan to attend more than one prom or formal event, the outfit can be re-worn and re-styled to fit your fantasies. The first tip for finding an outfit includes shopping around for dresses, not only to get a good price but also to get an idea of style. Another tip on making it possible to do prom on a budget is thrift stores. You might stumble upon quirky finds that can have personal style added, plus extra savings. Borrowing or buying a used dress often come at a discounted price, and once again, the dress can be sold after use. The traditional route of owning a dress of your dreams becomes possible from stores around the metroplex including Whatchamacallit, Terry Costa, and Windsor, buying a dress makes it possible to be on a budget because dresses can often be resold which earns back most of the money spent on the dress.

Guys

Outfit
Surprisingly, sometimes it costs less to buy a tux than it does to rent one, this turns out to be especially true if you will attend more than one prom or formal event. Also check eBay and Craigslist for used tuxedos and suits. When prom season passes,  you can always resell it too. Visit as many menswear stores as it takes to gather information on prices, then use the information to negotiate since many menswear stores get competitive during prom season. Even gathering a group of friends to see if the store will negotiate a deal with you and your friends if you all buy your menswear at the same place can slash prices.

Hair and Makeup
Through the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, an abundance of makeup and hair artists lie hidden, searching through friends, family, and fun makeup counters at the mall will save you not only time but also money. Family generally want to be a part of your special night, so recruiting them to help out with your makeup and hair should be no problem. With the option of makeup counters and cosmetology schools such as Sephora, the Ogle School and Paul Mitchell, other people may have the same idea, so booking into a time-slot maximizes the chances of being ahead of the game come prom day. Another good idea to maximize the fun of the day, gather your friends and make a day of it. Like a spa day, make it a prom day. Sit around and discuss plans for the night, makeup and hair looks for each other, one last bonding time with your friends.

Accessories
Digging through your mum’s old jewelry box brings added uniqueness and style to your look. Forget spending money on new jewelry, borrow from parents, grandparents, friends and neighbours for a touch of quirk and finesse.

Transportation
Whether you’re going as a couple or with a group of friends, splitting the cost of the transportation is the way to go. Even if couples plan on attending together, plan on going with another group of friends or a few other couples to slash the cost by more than a fourth of the full price. You could also ask to borrow your parents car to save even more money and have the versatility of being your own chauffeur for the evening.

$3000
$5000