Baseball Season Begins

Ryan Hill, 12, pitches at varsity baseballs round one playoff match against Burleson last season.
Photo by Zane Hudson
Ryan Hill, 12, pitches at varsity baseball’s round one playoff match against Burleson last season.

Bronco baseball began on Jan. 26 with tryouts held and the rosters reported to be set by the Jan. 29. Players have worked all fall to prepare for the spring season and hopes for another successful season. The Broncos finished in the fifth round of playoffs last year, the furthest in school’s history. Junior second baseman, Cade Logan, has been in the program for over two years and looks forward to the start of the season.

“Our team did great last year,” Logan said. “We went really deep in the postseason and fell short of a state championship game. This year the program wants to make it back to where we were last year and have a shot at a state championship.”

Being so close to a state title and falling short only motivates the Broncos this season. It left a bad taste in the mouths of all the players. The team will be out to make a statement this year.

“I’m excited to look at my improvements from last year to this year,” Logan said. “I want to see the team improve from last year and go further down the line in playoffs. I also can’t wait to show more of my potential considering I only have two more years of high school baseball. I also want to take full advantage of my last years and have as much fun as possible.”

Other players such as Corbin Franklin, junior catcher, has been constantly working hard on his swing and fielding.

“To work on my swing, I go to hitting lessons every week and get extra swings on my own to work on fundamentals,” Franklin said. “Some drills I do to help my fielding are dry blocks to work on my blocking and transition work to speed up my hands and feet when throwing down to bases.”

The team has already put in loads of work this offseason to get to state. The team’s first game will take place March 1 with a tournament game against Rider.

Boone Gilbreath
Boone Gilbreath, Newspaper
My name is Boone Gilbreath. I'm a junior who writes sports stories for The Rider. I play baseball and enjoy watching the Texas Rangers every year. If you read my stories your life will be changed forever.
Zane Hudson
Zane Hudson, Social Media Editor
I'm Zane Hudson and I like to play baseball.