JROTC Advances to Army Nationals

Senior+Austin+Bernal+and+his+fellow+cadets+practice+after+school+for+the+upcoming+competitions.+The+Iron+Broncos+won+Grand+Champion+out+of+21+competing+schools+in+the+Fifth+Brigade+during+the+fifth+annual+Brigade+JROTC+Drill+Championships+in+San+Antonio+on+Feb.+4.+
Photo by Colbi Branch
Senior Austin Bernal and his fellow cadets practice after school for the upcoming competitions. The Iron Broncos won Grand Champion out of 21 competing schools in the Fifth Brigade during the fifth annual Brigade JROTC Drill Championships in San Antonio on Feb. 4.

The JROTC Iron Broncos Armed Drill Team earned Grand Champion out of 21 competing schools in the Fifth Brigade during the fifth annual Brigade JROTC Drill Championships in San Antonio on Feb. 4. The top five competitors in the competition advance to the Army Nationals Drill Competition in Louisville, Kentucky on April 1. Senior Carter Bonneau has been on the competition team for three years and is excited to get to return to nationals.

“It really means something to go through high school, and not just be a part of a team, but a team that wins,” Bonneau said. “We have such a good JROTC program and our instructor has done a fantastic job of training us.”

JROTC has competed in Army Nationals for the past two years, placing fifth in the country in 2015 and ninth in the country in 2016. In addition to placing fifth overall in the Brigade Grand Champion, the Iron Broncos won first place in Inspection Phase, second place in Regulation Phase and fifth place in Exhibition Phase. JROTC instructor Sgt. Maj. Eric Smith remains proud of his team and expects to get first on the national level.

“We’re looking really good in winning this National Championship,” Sgt. Maj. Smith said. “I’m very proud. Those guys are very motivated to win the whole national championship and to leave their legacy here in JROTC.”

The team has eight seniors that have been on the team since their freshman year. For Bonneau, who will participate in the Exhibition, Regulation and Inspection Phases at Nationals, this is his last chance to compete with his squadmates.

“Some of the best friends I’ve had in school are in that team,” Bonneau said. “A lot of us are seniors, so this is kind of our last hurrah.”

The Iron Broncos are confident in their ability to win the Army Nationals to qualify them for the All-Service Nationals at Daytona Beach, Florida on May 5.

Jake Stacks, News Editor
Jesus. That's pretty much it.
Sara Gerges, News Editor
News editor. Short and sweet, just like this bio.
Colbi Branch, Photographer