LUCK Week Raises Money for Angelina

Eight-year-old+Angelina+Jasso+attends+the+pep+rally+dedicated+on+her+behalf.+LUCK+week+consisted+of+a+pep+rally%2C+fundraisers%2C+spirit+nights%2C+dress+up+days+and+most+importantly%2C+a+whole+week+of+dedication+to+someone+in+need.+
Photo by Zane Hudson
Eight-year-old Angelina Jasso attends the pep rally dedicated on her behalf. LUCK week consisted of a pep rally, fundraisers, spirit nights, dress up days and most importantly, a whole week of dedication to someone in need.

As junior Tori Greene walks into the Student Council room on Tuesday afternoon, she takes a deep breath and clears her head, knowing it will be a long few hours ahead of her.

Every year, Legacy StuCo hosts the annual LUCK Week. The week consisted of a pep rally, fundraisers, spirit nights, dress up days and most importantly, a whole week of dedication to someone in need.

“I enjoy LUCK Week,” Greene said. “We get to help out a child and their family in need.”

This year’s candidate was an eight-year-old girl named Angelina Jasso. As a baby, Angelina suffered from seizures and was on medication until last year. She now suffers from developmental delays and does not verbally communicate well. Greene believes her and everyone else who was involved, put a lot of effort into making this week special.

“Many people don’t know about the behind the scenes,” Greene said. “It takes a lot to plan the pep rally, design the shirt and organize LUCK Week committee meetings. We spend a lot of time outside of school planning this event.”

Angelina’s sister, Fatima Santos is a freshman at Legacy. LUCK Week is important to Santos because all of the support will benefit her family in such a positive way.

“I like LUCK Week because it helps a child have a better chance to recover,” Santos said. “Even if my sister wasn’t the candidate, I would still think it’s a good idea.”

All of the money raised will help Angelina receive the medicine she needs. This medicine helps prevent seizures and stimulates her brain development.

“[LUCK Week] is a very special program that benefits a family in need,” Santos said. “Donating money to a sick kid is like giving them a higher chance to live so they can afford therapy or pay for their medication.”

Every year LUCK Week makes an impact on the families that are chosen. Through all of the fundraisers and the help of caring students and staff members, Legacy StuCo is able to write a check that can help towards medical bills, clothes, school supplies or anything the family may need.

“This week will definitely make a huge impact because now my sister can have all of her medication for her seizures and can attend therapy

— Fatima Santos, 9

“This week will definitely make a huge impact because now my sister can have all of her medication for her seizures and can attend therapy,” Santos said. “I am very grateful for everyone that has been donating and my family will really be benefited from the money.”

Lauren Hargrove
Lauren Hargrove, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Lauren Hargrove and I'm Editor in Chief of TheRiderOnline.com. I enjoy football games, dogs and hanging out with friends. I'm sarcastic and sassy and honestly, I'm here for the food and to write I guess.
Zane Hudson
Zane Hudson, Social Media Editor
I'm Zane Hudson and I like to play baseball.