Playing Their Role

Non-Starters Contribution to the Team
Cameron+Chlup%2C+12%2C+celebrates+after+the+Broncos+win+against+North+Forney+in+the+third+round+of+playoffs.+
Photo by Zane Hudson
Cameron Chlup, 12, celebrates after the Broncos win against North Forney in the third round of playoffs.

Since freshman year, senior Cameron Chlup has never missed a football practice. He attended every summer workout and he takes training and film sessions serious. Yet, despite his best efforts, he does not play. One could say he bought into the team. So what makes Chlup so committed?

He has a desire to belong.

“The sport is bigger than just yourself,” Chlup said. “Everyone has a role and contributes to the teams success. At the end of the day the team wins and everyone on the team gets a ring, not just one person.”  

Chlup’s primary role at practice consists of playing as scout-team center or getting reps with the second-team offense. At practice when Chlup is not getting reps, he engages mentally by watching starters, and preparing for his chance to get in.

“I wish I started, I want to be able to contribute to my team on Friday’s and not just Monday through Thursday,” Chlup said, “but since I don’t get in the game too often there’s not too much stress on me so that’s nice.”  

No one beats Chlup to the fieldhouse, he’s the first athlete in the locker room and greets his teammates as they walk in. At workouts, Chlup holds his teammates accountable and makes sure they hit every rep. He would say his favorite part about football is not hitting people in the mouth, rather it is the bond formed with his teammates.

“We are all family regardless of who plays and who doesn’t, we all love each other,” Chlup said. “It’s like a brotherhood and nobody on the team wants to let down anyone, especially me.”

Chlup’s teammate senior Marcos Avalos has grown closer to Chlup since middle school when they first started playing ball. According to Avalos, the effort Chlup has shown cannot be matched by teammates and he will not let anyone outwork him.

“[Chlup] has earned the respect of his teammates, no doubt,” Avalos said. “He continues to come in and work hard every day, he does everything the coaches ask of him and never complains. He makes the people around him better. Those are the kind of guys you want on a team.”

***

Freshman Matthew Daiy’s eyes searched all over the paper, reading. His eyes scanned across name after name. He was looking for his. He could not find it. Daiy scanned the list again and again. Still never found his name. Daiy’s eyes drooped down low, his head pointed at the ground, he started to walk slowly away from the baseball field. He did not make the freshman baseball team. Daiy has played baseball since he was four. Now, he’s out of the game.

Getting cut was definitely one of my worst hardships I’ve been through especially since I cared so much about playing baseball,” Daiy said. “Growing up I just had a dream of playing ball in high school and for a second that dream was taken away from me.”

After being cut, Daiy found a way on the team his freshman year. He became one of the managers.

I decided to become a manager because it was offered to me, and I saw it as an opportunity to be a part of the program,” Daiy said. “My love of baseball was so great that I just wanted to be around the sport so I joined.”

During the offseason between his freshman and sophomore year, Daiy worked on crafting his skill. Next season when it came time for tryouts, Daiy’s determination paid off and he earned a spot on the roster.

“I was so happy when I made the team that time around,” Daiy said. “I work so hard and to see that result and it was a big goal of mine.”

Since making the team, he spent his sophomore and junior year inconsistently playing on JV. Daiy’s now a senior and will most likely backup senior Nathan Rooney at shortstop. Head Baseball Coach Chris McMullen expects Daiy to lead the team.

“He has shown great character and great work ethic these past years, “McMullen said. “He’s someone we expect to lead by example for our younger infielders.”

Baseball is only a sport, but for Daiy, it is much deeper than that. Daiy uses baseball as an escape. An escape from school, an escape from drama, an escape from everything.

Baseball for me is a safe haven from everything else in life,” Daiy said. “I can just enjoy myself and focus on my game.”