Journalism Takes Google Certification Course

Savannah Gery, 11, works on developing the yearbook theme. Gery is participating in the Google certification course in her yearbook class period to learn the knowledge necessary to get a Google certification.

Kassidy Duncan

In the summer of 2018, Journalism Adviser Leland Mallett collaborated with Stephanie Shackelford and Kim Murphree, members of MISDs Educational Technology Training team, to launch a program for journalism students to earn a Google Suite Certification.

Newspaper, yearbook and Photojournalism 2, 3 students have will complete 12 lessons before taking the certification test in December.

“[The certification] will give the students a leg-up on industry knowledge,” Ms. Shackelford said. “It will make everyone more well-rounded individuals.”

The G-Suite Certification covers every aspect of Google Cloud software. A test will determine whether the students have learned these aspects and will determine who earns the certification.

“Everyone should have a full grasp on the concepts by the time we take the test,” Ms. Murphree said. “You can really use these skills anywhere.”

When students take the test in December, they must know the concepts, utilize them and demonstrate practical knowledge in what information the certification has given, as it focuses on practice scenarios.

“[The students] know so much of it already,” Ms. Shackelford said, “so it’s been a fun challenge finding out what they don’t know.”

The G-Suite Certification does not just confirm basic knowledge of Google’s software but expands on it with more complicated knowledge of its subjects.

“The certification is a bonus to what they already know and use daily in their journalism class,” Mr. Mallett said. “It’s another star in their college-readiness.”

The new information provided will grow the overall knowledge of the students and, if used correctly, help boost efficiency when working together.

“Not only will the certification help in high school,” Ms. Shackelford said, “the knowledge can be used your entire life.”

Students in the program like the idea of the certification and have enjoyed the lessons.

“The certification class has been really useful,” senior Jazmine Necessary said. “I feel like it gives me more experience with the Google platforms and will prepare me for my adult life in the real world.”

Jack Lewellyn, Staff Writer

I'm Jack Lewellyn and I'm a writer for the Rider; which rhymes. I like to think i'm pretty darn funny. Most of the time. Half. At least a little bit of...

Kassidy Duncan, Photo Editor

Hi! My name is Kassidy Duncan, and I'm the Arena Photo Editor for Legacy Student Media. I'm also the Editor for Key Club, where I'm able to combine my...