Stelmar Finds Success at State Swim Meet

Photo by Courtesy Photo
Eric Stelmar, 11, on the podium after coming second in the 100m backstroke at the state meet.

Junior Eric Stelmar sprang off the starting blocks and into the water. Stelmar competed at the state swim meet and won bronze in the 200m freestyle and took silver in the 100m backstroke.

Legacy swimmers swept the district competition, they won the boys and girls district title. The boys team also won the regional meet. The swim team had seven athletes from Legacy competing at the state swim meet, six boys and one girl.

Along with Stelmar, Legacy also had three relays that competed at state however none of them placed. Overall the boys team finished tenth at the state meet. And Eric Stelmar would say he found success because of his work ethic and his coach, Nicholas Johnson.

“I think individually my success came from giving my best effort in training every day,” Stelmar said. “Also, listening to the coaches tips and applying them to my races helped make the success as well.”

Eric Stelmar believes the swim team achieved success this season. He says it is because his teammates always pushed each other to their limits.

“As a team, I think the success came from us pushing each other at practice and motivating each other to train to our full potential,” Stelmar said. “The encouraging environment definitely helped facilitate our achievements.”

Head Swim Coach Nicholas Johnson agrees this team had a different energy.

“Every team has a different energy or vibe. This year’s team was very relaxed and fun loving,” Coach Johnson said. “They got along well with each other and were open to changing things and trying new training strategies. I enjoyed spending time together as a team and coaching them in the relaxed atmosphere we created.”

This group of swimmers had more people compete at state than the previous year and Coach Johnson says this team reminded him to enjoy coaching.

“This group has reminded me to enjoy every practice, and challenge myself to include something fun in each work out,” Coach Johnson said.

Despite all of the teams accolades, Stelmar believes the swimmers can all work on being better teammates.

“One thing we need to work on as a team is not putting each other down as much for lack of effort but instead offering a way to do better,” Stelmar said. “Also, I feel like we could definitely do a much better job of cheering for each other more at swim meets and hyping each other up more.”