Fab Lab
Fab Lab

Varsity Girls’ Golf Tees Up For The Season

Varsity Golf players pose for a photo after their win at the Aledo Fall Tournament on Oct.2.

After she shot a 78 in the first round, 86 in the second and 78 in the third, sophomore Carley Bolding set a personal record with a total of 242 at her first golf tournament of the year. The season started off on Sept. 13 with a team total of 1055 and three new records for the girls’ varsity golf team. 

The new head coach, Scott Parlin, took over the team this past summer. Summer tournaments give the opportunity for more practice and hone their skills during the offseason. Under his coaching, all five varsity players have shot their personal bests. 

“I was the golf coach at Arlington Bowie HS for the previous five years,” Coach Parlin said. “It is different here because MISD has a middle school golf program so the players come into Legacy with a lot more experience.”

The team practices every day of the week. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays the team practices at the golf course and the driving range. On Mondays and Fridays, they work on improving cardio, strength and stamina.

“Coach Parlin knows so much about golf and he really wants us to improve,” junior Leah Woodford said. “He genuinely helps us to do that.” 

At the Aledo Fall Tournament on Oct. 2, the team finished in first place with a total score of 332. Individually, Bolding took first place and junior Lauren Mascarenas claimed third.

“Seeing our other teammates’ scores makes us want to get better at golf, while also helping them get better,” Woodford said. 

The girls’ next tournament will take place at the Southern Oaks Golf Club for the Legacy Chick-fil-A challenge on Oct. 15.

This team is fun to coach, very self-motivated,” Parlin said. “They have a chance to go to state in the spring.”

Sarah Akande
Sarah Akande, Editor-In-Chief
it's you throwing pencils at my face to wake me up in class