Girls’ Soccer Advances to Round 3

Kyleigh Hall’s Block Gives Broncos 4-2 Win In Shoot Out

The heart beats of the Legacy fans could nearly be felt as a Longview player sailed the ball from the penalty line over the cross bar. Seconds later sophomore goalkeeper Kyleigh Hall laid underneath her teammates on Bruce Field in Athens. After ending the game 1-1, the teams moved onto a penalty shootout and exchanged shots and saves. Hall saved the second Longview shot and earned the 4-2 penalty shootout win.

“I was just proud that I could be out there for my team,” Hall said.

The Broncos earned an early lead from sophomore Jessica Davault’s goal off a header. The goal was a result of quality play and teamwork, Davault said.

“When I got the goal I just said ‘Praise Jesus’,” Davault said. “It was really good teamwork to get it down there.”

The Longview Lady Lobos equalized five minutes before halftime with a shot that just got past Hall. The tall keeper kept confidence in her team after the goal.

“I was devastated,” Hall said, “but glad we were able to hold it together and get the win.”

After two 10-minute halves of scoreless overtime play, the teams entered a penalty shootout causing Hall’s mother to leave the bleachers because she was too afraid to watch her daughter defend the goal. Both teams buried their first round of shots but Hall managed an athletic save on Longview’s third attempt.

Shortly afterward, the Longview keeper made a blunder, making a save on the shot but allowing the ball to roll back into the goal while celebrating.

Head varsity Coach Heather Wilson was proud of her goalkeepers heroic save in the penalty shootout.

“That was amazing,” Wilson said. “She’s full of confidence, if anyone is going to save it, it’s her.”

The Broncos will play Red Oak in the third round of playoffs next week. The team has already tied and defeated the Red Oak Owls this season in district and look to add another win to the tally.

“This is a confident, determined group of kids,” Wilson said. “They play well together and we will keep moving forward.”