Beyond the Numbers: Why Athletes Chose their Number

Nate Rombach, 12, posed with his bat in the studio for a picture. Romach chose his number because it comforted him during the game.

Zane Hudson

No matter what the sport, every player has a number to represent them, and no one really knows where they came from or why people have one. But for most, it contains a deeper meaning than just self-representation. Junior football player Ayo Adeyi, sported the number two to remind him who he believes deserves the glory.

“I’m wearing number two because it reminds me that God comes first and I come second,” Adeyi said. “When it’s on my back I remember.”

Senior soccer player Tatum Krueger thought the number 29 allowed her to stand out when people think of her position.

“It’s different because not a lot of goalkeepers would of chose to wear number 29,” Krueger said. “So, I think it helps me stand out on the field and so far it’s been good luck.”

But for girls’ soccer, there’s a new tradition of numbers being past down from team to team according to Krueger.

“So the seniors make a journal at the beginning of the season and write down our goals for the season and we give them to our coach. He gives them back at the end of the season and we write down a summary of what our number meant to us and then we pass it down [to the underclassmen],” Krueger said. “But they don’t have to wear it next year but it would mean something to us if they did.

However, some numbers are set in stone depending on the position says sophomore volleyball player Payton Hyden, who wore number zero.

“I used to wear number 10 because it would be like ‘Pay10’,” Hyden said. “But the librero number has to be zero so that’s what I got.”

For senior baseball player Nate Rombach number 19 comforted him during the game.

“I’ve just worn it since I was a little kid, and I feel comfortable on the field when I know I have 19 on my back,” Rombach said.                                                                                                                                                                                     

The phenomenon of having a number to call your own. There’s no real explanation to it, but the sensation of picking a number to have to yourself is undeniable.

Major Melson, Staff Writer

WWE enthusiast. I love to play football and want to take my talents to the University of Oklahoma. I love me some Jesus. Never mind a good time.

Zane Hudson, Social Media Editor

I'm Zane Hudson and I like to play baseball.