Girls Soccer Locked-In for Bi-District

Ashely Perez, 12, dribbles the ball past a defender in her game against Burleson.
Photo by Grant Gourley

Every sports team from Legacy competed in a playoff game this year. Football, tennis, swimming, bowling, girls and boys basketball and volleyball all went to the playoffs. The streak stays alive now with girls and boys soccer playoff games coming up.

The girls soccer team finished the regular season undefeated in district play and won another district championship. The girls had an 18-1-2 record overall and in district 10-0-1. Their one tie this season came against Burleson Centennial, who finished second in the district. According to Senior Center Defender, Alexis Luna, the team found success in district because they were hungrier than other teams.

“I don’t necessarily think that we are better than every team we played, but we just wanted it more than other teams,” Luna said. “After we tied Burleson Centennial we felt the need to push ourselves harder.”

Although the team has an impressive record, Senior Captain Ashley Perez believes the team can still improve heading into the postseason.

“Heading into the playoffs, we need to work on communication on the field. Off the field, we communicate, but if we would communicate more on the field it would make us better. Also, we need to work on our attacking transition,” Perez said.

The girls have a team bonding every week. They will go to one of the player’s houses and eat dinner, play games and talk. Luna believes this team bonding made the team closer but has also carried over into winning on the field.

“My favorite part about this team is how close we are. Team bonding has brought us closer. And now we hang out outside of team bonding because of the relationships we’ve built. It also helps us on the field because we are comfortable with each other,” Luna said.

Ashley Perez agrees with Luna that the team is close, and Perez looks to have success entering the playoffs.

“I think this year we are definitely closer, we are a team and not individuals. Like every school, we want to win state, but we are just going to play our best and hopefully it will get us there,” Perez said.

The team will play Fort Worth O.D. Wyatt on Mar. 28 at 6 p.m. The game will be held at Mansfield Legacy.